Friday, February 03, 2006

No True Leadership Without It

Leadership.

It seems to me that one of the differences between worldly leadership and biblical leadership is that biblical leadership requires constant self-denial. Maybe I should be more specific, self-denial for the good of others and the glory of God.

That's one reason why I'd suggest if you want to be a godly leader, to look at any opportunity for self-denial as an opportunity for biblical leadership training. When I'm saying no to something I want for the good of others and for the glory of God, I'm learning how to become a better leader. On the other hand, if I'm primarily making decisions on the basis of personal comfort, while I might end up being a good worldly leader...being controlled by that particular motivation is going to end up taking me the exact opposite direction of godly leadership.

"You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve and to give his life a ransom for many."

2 comments:

Jon and Lola said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon and Lola said...

Yeah!

Thank you Josh for posting that. I forwarded your post to our leadership in our study. That encouraged me.

My pastor, Kurt Gebhards reminds me ofter of Paul when he wrote in 2 Cor.12:15, "I will most gladly spend and be expended for your souls."