Friday, February 10, 2006

Da Balogna

You don't usually think of education and ignorance going together, but I think this article by Mark Hughes is a pretty powerful reminder that it is definitely possible.

To be a bit more charitable, either he's a bit ignorant or I am.

But I mean I've been a Christian for a long time, I've grown up in the church, I've gone to Christian school, in other words, I know alot of Christians; and yet I've got to say I don't know the people he is talking about.

This is in the Philadelphia Daily News. This is a person who teaches at Penn talking supposed about Christians and yet I mean, these people that he's talking about don't look like very much like anyone I've met.

I mean what Christian would really care more about bashing Catholics than he would the inerrancy and infallibility of Scriptures? He writes, "Conservative American Protestants will look past the speculations about Jesus and Mary Magdalene (many will even find them neat to ponder, though probably not with their children) and will instead revel in the anti-Catholic bigotry the story appears to justify."

If he's right that's really pretty sad, but I for one, and maybe I'm optimistic, but I don't think he's really even close. For some reason, I just don't think many Christians will find it very neat to ponder the gospels being a lie, Jesus getting married to Mary Magadelene, their very faith being false.

Speaking of bigotry, could this instead be more a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

No comments: