Monday, April 17, 2006

I will survive...

I want you to think about one fact that could change your life. And by change your life, I mean completely change the way you look at everything in your life.

Like, say perhaps finding out you were going to die. You can't tell me finding out you were going to die in like two weeks wouldn't change the way you went about living your life. It would change the way you looked at everything, your marriage, your work, your hobbies.

Or how about even better, finding out you weren't going to die. This one obviously takes more of a stretch of the imagination but I've got to believe finding out you weren't going to die would have a pretty major impact on the decisions you went about making.

I say that because I wonder if we always get that is a big part of what it means to be a Christian.

Obivously I need to modify that a bit.

It's not that we don't die or that we can't die. The reality is better.

Quoting the Apostle's Creed:

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

We believe that we are going to die, our bodies will be buried, our souls will go to heaven, and then one day in the future Jesus is going to return, and our bodies will be literally rise from the grave, reunited with our souls and be transformed into something much more glorious and powerful than they are right now, a body like Jesus Christ's.

That's pretty awesome stuff.

I mean, have you ever looked at your body and said to yourself, I believe this body is going to survive death. Only better. That's part of what Easter's about. Paul calls Jesus' resurrection a kind of firstfruits.

No question, that's one fact that should completely change the way you look at life.

No comments: