Monday, April 03, 2006

Groupies...

I'm a small group guy.

I want you to know that.

By temperament and by theology, I'm all for small groups. By temperament, I mean, I like listening to people share. I like being around other people. I like interaction. I like it when people ask questions. By theology, I mean I believe one of the primary ways God changes people is through relationships and that small groups are a smart, common sense way of helping people form those kinds of life-changing relationships.

I'm a small group guy.

That said, I'm just wondering something.

I'm wondering if sometimes (not all the time - sometimes) the emphasis on small groups has something to do with a de-emphasis on preaching. And I'm wondering if the de-emphasis on preaching has something to do with the fact that most of us would rather hear ourselves talk than someone else.

I taught Sunday School with a group of four year olds a couple weeks ago. And man, when they were talking about themselves they were so into it. But the moment, and I mean, the moment someone else started telling a story - they checked out.

Like many of us.

Small groups are great - go for it. But be careful the motivation is right. If we're going to really learn, we can't just listen to ourselves. We've got to learn to listen to other people just as well.

3 comments:

david said...

great post. i lead a Bible study geared toward discussion, and am about to try taking some of our discussion onto my blog. this will certainly be one of the reads for them.

Tom said...

When we first started our shepherding group (small group), we studied "Why Small Groups?" edited by C.J. Mahaney & Greg Somerville.
This book lays out a very clear purpose and motivation for small groups. Check it out!

zero said...

cell phonesCheap cell phonesChina Cell PhonesDiscount Handbags On Sale-Beautycasa Online : - Hermes Handbags Miu Miu Handbags Fendi Handbags Prada Handbags Balenciaga Handbags Chloe Handbags Marc Jacobs Handbags Jimmy Choo Handbags Mulberry Luxury Handbags Christian Dior Handbags Hermes Wallet Gucci Handbags FREE GUCCI WALLET Difference the amount Designer Handbags Chanel Handbags Burberry Handbags Louis Vuitton Wallet ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping